Sunrise period from May 1 to July 31, 2009, waiting period, registrants who have already registered any another .MX second-level domain would be able to register their domain for one year
Waiting period from August 1 to August 31, 2009, to set up the domains registered in the Sunrise period, and to resolve domain name disputes
Initial registration period from September 1 to October 31, 2009; in this part the registration will be done with the policy first-come, first-served and only for one year with a special set of prices.
After the three phases, .mx registrations will be open for the public.
Up to August 2009 domain registrations besides .MX, consist of third-level names beneath second-level names which parallel some of the top-level domains:
- .com.mx: Commercial entities (actually unrestricted, like .com)
- .net.mx: Network providers (registration limited to qualifying entities)
- .org.mx: Non-profit organizations (registration limited to qualifying entities)
- .ngo.mx: Non-profit organizations or Civil society organizations (registration NOT limited to qualifying entities)
- .edu.mx: Educational institutions (registration limited to qualifying entities)
- .gob.mx: Federal, State or Municipal Governmental entities only (.gob derives from the Spanish word for government: “Gobierno”)
Currently second level domains can be registered directly under .mx.
On April 30, 2009, second level domain registrations were 0.06% of the total. A month later the value was up to 4.9% On April 30, 2010, second level registrations were 21.4% of the total.